In 1804 the Rothes Mill was the first papermill in Fife, built on the banks of the River Leven in Scotland. Paper production has continued on the site ever since, for most of the time within the Tullis Russell group of businesses. In 1961 manufacture of electrical paper started with capacitor tissue, followed soon afterwards by manufacture of crepe paper in 1969. In 2014 the Rothes Mill became powered by renewable energy when RWE constructed the neighbouring Markinch biomass CHP plant which supplies both steam and electricity to the mill. In 2015 the electrical crepe paper business was bought out of Tullis Russell in an employee-backed buy-out to form Glenrothes Paper.